Cashew cream mayonnaise is a fabulous vegan replacement for regular mayo. Tangy and rich, yet not too fatty.
Use it as a dip for raw veggies, as a salad dressing, or an accompaniment for baked potatoes, fries, or breaded tofu and veggies.
Every kitchen should have a jar of cashew purée, AKA cashew butter. It’s an excellent replacement for dairy cream, and I much prefer it to bought soya or rice creams, which are often a bit chalky and unpleasant on the palate. Its flavour is mellow, and it has a nice creamy richness.
I also use it to make white sauces for pasta, and you don’t even need to add a thickener, as it thickens, weirdly, as you add water and heat it. To this base you can add the flavourings of your choice. My fave is garlic, mushrooms, a splash of white wine and a wee bit of parsley.
I also use it instead of cream in cream soups. People cannot even tell the difference! When I used to do cookery demos at La Co-op Bio, a huge organic store where I also taught cookery classes and worked as an advising naturopath, customers were astonished that my cream of courgette soup had no “cream” in it.
I love fooling people! Especially meat eaters! ;)
I use my immersion blender for this, but a regular blender will do, or even a vigorous whisking. For the latter, work the cashew purée with the lemon juice until it is smooth, before whisking in the other ingredients.Print
- 70g / 4 oz / 1/4 cup cashew purée/butter
- 1/4 tsp dijon mustard
- 5 Tbsp lemon juice, approx. 1 1/2 lemons
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the cashew purée, mustard, lemon juice and vinegar in a bowl and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Alternately add tablespoons of olive oil and water.
- The mixture will whip to a light creamy texture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Crispy Herbed Chick Peas
- Celeriac Remoulade – A Speciality Salad of France
- 3 Extraordinary Natural Health Supplements the French Adore and the Rest Ignore
- Energy Follows Thought
- A Quick Practice to Re-focus Yourself in the Spiritual Reality
- I Am Not My Brother’s Keeper – Or Am I?
- What Is The Ageless Wisdom?